PEE WEE DIVISION
KINDERGARTEN & FIRST GRADE
Weekdays: (1) Practice Session
Saturdays: (1) 90 minute session with station based skill training and scrimmages
As an introduction to softball for most players, the focus is on developing softball and sports behavior skills throughout the season.
- Hitting off a batting tee: Proper stance, grip, step, and level swing.
- Basic Fielding: ready position, glove position to “get” the ball, where to throw, and where to stand to receive a throw.
- Base running: running through first base, running to other bases in correct order.
- Throwing: proper grip, release, body position (point, twist/swim/point, follow-through)
- Playing positions: know names of positions and locations on the playing field
- Bench control and behavior
- Running on and off the field
- Shaking hands (or fist bumps) at the end of the game
- Maintaining focus
Rules of Play: Pee Wee Division
- ALL players must be in uniform – black pants or shorts, team visor, team shirt and socks.
- 8 batters or 3 outs per team per inning.
- If a runner is out she must leave the base.
- Eleven players defensively, with 5 evenly spaced in the outfield, if fewer than 11, reduce outfield.
- ALL players are included in the batting order.
- ALL players must play at least two innings in the infield each game.
- ALL players must have a chance to play all positions during the season.
- There MUST be a clear separation between infield and outfield positions.
- Infielders MUST play in position and not move toward home plate.
- No on field defensive changes may be made during the inning.
- Pitcher and all infielders MUST wear a face mask.
- Batters and runners MUST wear a helmet.
- The batting tee is to be placed in its LOWEST position and about 2” in front of the plate.
- Batter must stand square to home plate and not with an open or closed stance. Hitting the ball in front of the plate.
- Ball must be batted out of the arc area (aprox. 25 feet)
- On hit, runners advance one base ONLY.
- NO advancing on overthrown balls.
- All bases are set at 60 feet.